From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:54:09 +0000
Bronwyn:

Don't use modern artists' reconstructions - there are some absolutely
stunning contemporary full-colour "portraits" of B. primigenius (Aurochs)
in some Upper Paleolithic cave paintings!

The famous "Diverticle Axial" of Lascaux has two stunning beasts at near
to life-size (a 2.8m. bull and a 1.7m. cow), while the "Hall of Bulls" has
... yes, you've guessed it!

There are lots of high quality photographs and colour slides around from
before the "maladie verte" forced the closure of Lascaux to the public
almost 30 years ago. One very good discussion with outstanding colour
photographs is Paul Bahn & Jean Vertut, 1988.  "Images of the Ice Age"
(Leicester: Windward Books) - published with support from the Getty Grant
Program.

Patrick Boylan

============================

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Bronwyn Terrill wrote:

> Dear colleagues
>
> I am currently searching for an image of Bos primigenius, an extinct auroch
> from the upper pleistocene period that is thought to be the ancestor of
> domestic cattle. If this illustration is part of your collection or you
> know of a source who may allow it to be reproduced in a biotechnology
> exhibition in Museum Victoria, Australia, please contact me using any of
> the following details.
>
> Looking forward to any leads. Thanks for your time.
> Sincerely
> Bronwyn
>
> Bronwyn Terrill
> Project Leader
> Human Mind and Body Program
> Programs and Research
> Museum Victoria, PO Box 666E
> Melbourne Vic 3001 Australia
> Ph. +613 9291 2187
> Fax +613 9291 2195
> email: [log in to unmask]

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message sho
uld read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).