From:
Jeff Courtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:02:36 -0500
howdy from shreveport, louisiana:  i'm new to the list and did some
searching of the archives, but didn't find exactly what i was looking for...

what i'm looking for is dialogue with similar institutions to try and avoid
reinventing wheel after wheel after.....

i work for a fledgling institution called 'artspace at the west edge.'  it
is safe to say we are not exactly a museum, nor are we a gallery.  one of
the implications is there is room for evolution, in terms of how we serve
the community.  to borrow a phrase from the children's museum field which
is very popular right now, we have the potential to become a new kind
of 'town square' where there is opportunity for art dialogue on many, many
different levels:  artist to artist, artist to community, community to
artist, what kids think about art, what art says about kids, etc....

our mission is obstensibly a place where all the arts are celebrated. (i
know - its a wee bit nebulous)!  our product is thematic exhibits coupled
with hands-on activities  for kids, we're devoting about 5K square feet for
the hands-on area - we'll use it primarily as an adjunct to whatever exhibit
(s) we are doing at the time...

our parent organization, the shreveport regional arts council, has had a
strong commitment of supporting local artists and art activities for about
27 years.  for instance, in our inaugural exhibition on "Peter Pan" (the
kid who never grows up turns 100 this year! at least the play does...) we
juried in both visual and literary works, we commissioned several dance
pieces, etc, to be part of a larger exhibiton of borrowed artifacts.

our physical space is about 21,000 square feet, with about 8 - 10 thousand
feet of exhibit space; a coffeeshop/cafe, and a small giftstore.

shreveport is has an area population base of about 350,000.

do you represent such an institution, or can you recommend such an
institution?

please feel free to respond off-line, although i'm sure most on the list
would be interested in other's descriptions of themselves, or descriptions
of outstanding, smaller institutions.

jeff courtman
project manager
artspace