From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:17:03 -0400
Marielle,

I think it is more appropriate to cite a range rather than an average
time span for allowing building materials to offgas. Factors that
come into play are the collection type and the kinds of building
materials used in the construction. If the building was designed to
house the collection, care should have been taken to choose building
materials that have a minimum amount of offgassing. 'Green' building
indoor air quality management plans call for a minimum two week
building flush-out period using new filters and 100% outside air
after construction ends. Some plans call for up to three months.
These plans are generally designed to protect building occupants;
some pollutants can be damaging to collections at lower
concentrations. Construction schedules are usually rushed so there
are also a number of air testing procedures that can be performed
instead of, or in addition to, a building flush-out. You may want to
reference "Pollutants in the Museum Environment: Practical Strategies
for Problem Solving in Design, Exhibition and Storage" by Pamela B.
Hatchfield, Archetype Publications and "Museum Collection Storage" by
E. Verner Johnson and Joanne C. Horgan, UNESCO.

Mike

--
Michael McHugh, AIA
LEED Accredited Professional