From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 1994 09:40:25 EST
Aaron, I won't say that the medium IS the message -- that's already
been said, I think -- but it obviously makes a huge difference;
otherwise, it would make no sense ever to do an exhibit, since we
already have books, films, plays, etc.  There may or may not be such a
thing as "underlying issues" but EVERY medium re-contextualizes them or,
more properly, provides a different or new context for them.  Even a
context-free environment, like cyberspace, whatever that is, is a kind of
context -- a de-context maybe.  People look for cues as to how to
interpret what they are experiencing; in some media -- film, print,
theater -- a long critical tradition has familiarized them with how to
read the environment and position themselves in it, but there is lots
of evidence that for most people that process is missing in their
museum experience.  You might be interested in the Spring 1994
Exhibitionist (Vol. 13, No. 1), dealing with exhibition criticism.