From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:37:49 -0400
I think you first need to determine WHY you have the books. Are they in
your collection because of their historical association with people or
events you document with your collections? Then they might be artifacts
and, if so, treated appropriatly by cataloguing them in Past Perfect using
manuscript collection or artifact collection standards.

If, however, you use them as books...as a reference library..to research
your collection or museum topic or whatever... then this is a library and
you'll need to retrieve the books based on Author, Title, Subject. In this
case get help from a librarian who can catlaogue them on the Library of
Congress system, create a card catalogue (electronic or hard copy
depending on your resources) and then anyone who knows how to use a
library can retrieve the books.

I have been in this position. Just because the object is paper between two
covers doesn't mean it should automatically be in the library collection
or the manuscript collection. A book that was owned by the specific
captain of a specific ship and documents what he read in his spare time is
probably an artifact. A book that helps you identify sail styles is a
reference book and belongs in the library.

Diane G.

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:12:32 -0700, Aaron Micallef <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>We are a relatively young museum that would like to get a handle on our
book collection.  Past curators have focused exclusively on objects and
not library materials.  Personally, my experience is with artifacts and
not books.  I have at least 3000 volumes that need to be cataloged.  We
use PastPerfect for our object collection.  Has anyone used PastPerfect
for their library collection?  Do you find it useful?  If not, do you
suggest another cataloging program?  Although ours is a non-circulating
collection, one benefit I see to Past Perfect is that I can launch the
collection online with the additional software they sell and not have to
worry to much about exporting the data.  Are they any good books out there
about how to start a museum library.  I plan on trying to rope in some
retired librarians to help me on this, if I can find them.  I really don't
know where to begin.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.