From:
ECS - Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 10:58:50 -0500
>NEW RELEASE NEWS RELEASE NEWS RELEASE NEWS RELEASE
>
>For Immediate Release: March 6, 1998
>CONTACT:                       Kate Randall
>                               215-351-1466
>

>STOLEN 18th c. WROUGHT IRON GATES RETURNED
>TO ST. PETER'S CHURCH, PHILADELPHIA.
>
>The gates stolen from historic St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia
on February 24 were returned by police March 5.  Police said an "informant"
brought in the 7 foot gates which weigh 300 to 400 pounds each.

>"We believe they were stolen and sold, maybe sold again, and suddenly
because of the fact that we were going to so many places looking for them,
they became an item that no one wanted to hold onto." - Capt. Thomas Quinn
of Central Detectives, Philadelphia Police.

>The church is delighted to have the gates back. They are irreplacable and
part of the church's architectural heritage.  They have hung for more than
200 years on a brick wall that surrounds the Episcopal church at Third and
Pine Street, Philadelphia. A National Historic Landmark, St. Peter's is
still a vibrant and active parish.

>Our thanks to all those who helped to spread the word about the theft and
contributed to their safe return!