From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:58:39 -0400
How would a scanned copy of something that is then placed on a web site be considered differently than microfilm or microfiche?  It would need to be evaluated as to the trustworthiness of the web site but bogus documents can be microfilmed, too. In many cases web sites are used as exhibits - if you argue that web sites are secondary sources then so are museum exhibits because they have been edited, too.  I'm sure that we all know that archives, too, are edited. Somewhere along the line someone makes the decision as to what survives.  It's beginning to feel like we are dealing with secondary sources all around if we start splitting this hair.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/11/03 07:28PM >>>
I will be interested to see other opinions on this question. This seems
to me an example that could be considered use of primary sources and
just as easily be argued it is use of a publication(the web site) which
quotes a primary source and used photographs to illustrate the
information just the way a book or magazine would do.
This may be a new hybrid source of information and how you would cite it
depends on the reputation of the web site's authors.
Do you have to have the actual item in your hands for it to be
considered a primary source?
Look forward to more opinions on this.
Chris Taylor
Atchison County (Kansas) Historical Society