From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:16:56 -0400
Robert Baron describes New York's mayor as an "ego-maniacal monster."
I'm not sure such hyperbolic ad hominem attacks are either appropriate,
or best serve the interests of the museum community.

Museums must increasingly face the reality that if they wish to feed at
the government trough then they must expect such issues to come up.
Frankly, after seeing what seem to be representative pieces of this
exhibit, I have to wonder who thought it was worthwhile art. But that is
simply my opinion. If it was being sponsored by a private individual, or

organization, I could shrug my shoulders and just not pay to see the
exhibit. It would be their right to exhibit it and my right to think it
was worthless. When you put government money in it, I'm inclined to
think the issues -- and perspectives -- change.

There seem to be so many battles which need to be fought over
substantive issues of historical and scientific interpretation, I'm not
sure that dung and vivisection art is the issue that I'd want to
consider the "Rubicon."

Regardless, I suspect that the mayor has plenty of supporters and
casting him as a "monster" is certain only to alienate the public that
museums so desperately need to both attract and educate.

Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation