From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:07:54 -0400
I feel that I must politely disagree with the notion that Montpelier will be an, "excellent replica on Madison's historic site..."

From everything I have seen there is substantial survival of architecture and evidence from the Madison occupation in the core of the house - this is original and not some illusory "historical" imagining.

Furthermore I know the architectural historians from Colonial Williamsburg who consulted with Montpelier and they are the best in the business. They are very careful and experienced scholars.

I have been involved in many of the issues and strategies in historic house and site research and restoration.

Let's be clear here - what is being proposed is the removal of the circa 1900 wings that were added to the structure by the Du Ponts, and probably some interior work in the core of the house to restore doors and walls that were there during the Madison occupancy.

All sorts of research strategies are employed in the restoration of an historic house - from the most substantial physical remains, to sinmilar architectural sources, to those only existing in documentary sources. The same holds true for furnishing period houses. It is indeed a rare occurance when the bulk of an historic structure exists as it did in it's "original" form or the bulk of the furnishings remain in the house. Most of the time historic structures have been modified, repainted, and redecorated, over time. Does this mean that if you restore an 18th century house by removing the Victorian wallpaper and funriture and use paint colors based on research and furnishings based on a probate inventory that you are "destroying an historic house" and creating an imaginary thing? An illusion? A boring historical lie?

If so, then most of the restored historic houses in America belong in the above definitions.

While I think it is perfectly fine to argue against the removal of the circa 1900 wings of Montpelier I find it a bit over the top to argue that somehow that that removal invalidates the entire structure or the careful research process in assessing the structure and it's "originality" is somehow producing a "boring lie" for kids.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Artifacts