From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:13:38 -0400
Shelley,

The grade of plywood is not as important as the type of adhesives and
wood it contains. Exterior grade plywood in most cases uses softwood
and phenol-formaldehyde adhesives which offgas less than interior
grade plywood which in most cases use hardwood and urea-formaldehyde
adhesives. The exterior grade plywood is a better choice as the
phenol-formaldehyde adhesive is more stable. Where used in close
proximity to artwork, a barrier film product such as Marvelseal would
provide additional protection. Air circulation around the materials
will prevent accumulation of gasses. There are also fiberboard
products out there (MDF) that contain no formaldehyde. (You should
always check what they DO contain). I hope this helps in evaluating
your options as your budget allows.

Mike

--
Michael McHugh, AIA