Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:34:31 -0600
Good Morning Tracie,
As a museum professional, who occasionally indulges in the hobby of
pistol target shooting, may I share with you my thoughts on this.....
First, is the firearm a pistol, revolver, shotgun, or a rifle/carbine?
As you can imagine some folks specialize in "repairing" or "restoring"
one or the other....some folks even specialize even further, for
example, only working on Colt pistols,.... some folks only work on Smith
& Wesson pistols, etc....
If it is a pistol, I would start with contacting members of the American
Pistolsmith Guild.  The APG has five members in Texas.  The link to
their members list (by state) is
http://www.americanpistol.com/guild_members_state_list.php
Perhaps the National Rifle Association's National Firearms Museum in
Virginia may be able to assist you.
Best Wishes,
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel