From:
ExhCoord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:30:23 GMT
Just a thought (perhaps a seriously misguided one)...

I was a volunteer docent at a zoo which had two bald eagles unfit for life in
the wild. The conditions of keeping these animals included that any feathers
which they lost had to be forwarded to a federal agency which portions them out
to native americans for religious ceremonies. Native americans are (I think...)
the only individuals who are able to 'own' eagle feathers in the US.

Now...if you could find a native american tribe which would be willing to
facilitate the movement of your feather across the border...perhaps a
tribe-to-tribe exchange...

I have NO idea if this is workable...but it might be an option worth exploring.

Gee, could a person get into trouble for even discussing this topic? Is this a
form of subversion of our national laws? <G>

Rhea Tannenbaum
Exhibits Coordinator
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
Boca Raton, FL