Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 00:46:58 PST
As a new member to this list I planned on lurking for awhile to learn the
local protocols.  However, an issue cropped up today and I am in need
of some background information.

A corporate partner with our museum is proposing that we make
certain, yet to be specified, artifacts available so that they can be
measured in 3 dimensions via a process they refer to as "laser
digitization".  The data can then be utilized to create reproductions by
a system known as "rapid prototyping."  We are presently in the
process of learning what all this means.

We are extremely hesistant to make any artfacts available until we are
certain that the 3 dimensional measuring via laser light in safe,
non-destructive process.

As such, does anyone on museum-l know anything about this process?
Is it archivally sound, etc., etc?  Any information that is passed along
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Gates
Library Director