From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:42:02 -0700
Jessica,

Once you decide how many of each item to keep for your
archives, may I suggest some creative alternatives to
simply dumping the rest in the garbage:

1) Your local public library may be interested in one
copy of some of these papers, for their pamphlet file;

2) A local historical society and/or history museum
may also be interested in some of the remaining papers
for their archives;

3) For whatever is left over, why not offer free
copies to your museum's members and visitors? There
may be some museum members and members of the general
public who have fond memories of your museum from many
years ago, who would love to have such memorabilia.

You could offer these items through your museum's
newsletter, web site, news release to the news media,
and perhaps even on a table at the museum entrance.

Nothing should be just thrown-away when it could be
utilized to benefit the public!

gaw

--- Jessica Casinelli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My museum is moving to a new office space and while
> we were packing we
> discovered a huge supply of our old museum printed
> matter such as old
> maps old exhibition notes, invites, old letterhead,
> and our old
> quarterly journals. We do not want to move all of it
> as it is a large
> amount, but we do want to create a archive for them
> so we have a bit
> of everything. Our registrar does not know what to
> do in this matter
> and we do not have an archivist on staff. Can any
> one give us some
> advice as to how many we should keep and how we
> should keep them? We
> are a contemporary art museum but with a tight
> budget (like all
> museums).
>
> Any advice would be helpful!
>
> Thank you,
> Jessica

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
NEWS - Astronomy, Space, Science:
< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://www.planetarium.cc >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer & Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://www.andrewcarnegie.cc >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://www.incline.cc >

      Don't be flakey.  Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.    http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail