From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:03:41 -0400
THIS MESSAGE REPRESENTS MY OWN VIEWS.

Of course Newt shouldn't have voiced the wish that the Phoenix flag show
be closed down.  In fact, the Speaker of the House
has no business commenting on such an issue, especially since
public funds are not involved.  If he wanted to say anything at all,
it would have been more appropriate for him to voice support for the
First Amendment, which he has sworn to uphold.

But as we all know, Newt has a big mouth.  And at least he has good things
to say about museums, as well as the stupid stuff.  He's a museum
enthusiast.  He loves zoos.  He donates animals to Zoo Atlanta, proving that
he's not just paying lip-service.  He has been quietly supportive of some
government funding programs that benefit museums.  He strongly supports
charitable deductions.  In fact he was a cosponsor of the bill restoring
deductibility for gifts of appreciated property (as was Jesse Helms).  In
sum, his record is mixed on funding issues but pretty good on tax.

Maybe my standards are low, but some of them are a lot worse ...

Andy Finch (on my own time)