Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:15:15 +0800
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 7,400 readers in more than 197 countries.

***   "I'm just always delighted with the content, and therefore save it for
my Friday lunch reading. I have learned much, enjoyed much, and continue
todo so. Thanks so very much for this wonderful addition to my week(s). By
the way - IMPOSSIBLE to choose a category of greatest use/interest"  - User
Feedback 2009 ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Ireland's New Museum for Leprechauns
Slightly disappointed that there won't be any live specimens prancing about,
we follow O'Rahilly down a long, tapered tunnel meant to shrink the
visitor - psychologically, at least - to leprechaun size

**  Art Heist Still a Mystery 20 Years Later
At 1:24 in the morning, thieves dressed as cops convinced two security
guards to buzz them in before tying them up and roaming the galleries for an
infamous 81 minutes

**  Ancient Texts Present Mayans As Literary Geniuses
His most notable accomplishment is that he establishes for the first time
that two millennia of Mayan writings produced in various writing systems and
media - from stone glyphs and paper documents produced in the post-Columbian
Roman alphabet - constitute a single literary history and tradition

**  Hoping to Graduate From Guards to Gauguins
A group of Met guards are stepping into the spotlight with a new art journal
called Sw!pe Magazine: Guards' Matter, and an accompanying art exhibit

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2010! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.   CLICK HERE
http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  A bounty of badges
Appointed chief of detectives in 1887, the moustachioed Hazen had been
acting police chief during the Civil War and the first detective in the
country to get an indictment against Jesse James and other members of the
James-Younger Gang

**  'Old Baldy' horse head going back up in Philly
A museum in Philadelphia will once again showcase the head of Old Baldy, the
horse Gen. George Meade rode during many of the Civil War's most infamous
battles

**  Michael Jackson's Hat Among Museum's New Finds
On a recent afternoon inside a studio, Michael Jackson's fedora was
carefully removed from a box by two museum handlers and displayed on a mat

**  Michelle Obama's Inaugural Gown Headed for History Museum
The white, one shoulder silk chiffon Jason Wu dress will join the ranks at
the American History museum in Washington, D.C. of other First Lady's famous
dresses - Jackie Kennedy, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Helen Taft, among others

**  Ansel Adams' Son Sues Museum for Prints
The museum went out of business in January and is liquidating its assets,
and Dr. Michael Adams says that he struck out the phrase "the [museum]
directors are at liberty to use or dispose of this property at their
unrestricted discretion," in the Declaration of Gift in 1983

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 488?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 500 members -  488 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com/

**  State museums to sell off bits of history
The auction catalogue contains 1,600 items in 500 lots gleaned from seven of
26 museums and historic sites across the commonwealth

**  First maritime archaeology museum in Sri Lanka
Artefacts relating to Maritime Archaeology, maps, naval craft and a host of
articles including artillery guns, ropes, earthenware, beer mugs, smoking
pipes, barrels, shoes used by the sailors and items recovered from the
wreckage of ships sunk in the sea off the Southern coast nearly 800 years
ago

**  The Virgin Queen, the serpent and the doctored portrait
When this painting of Queen Elizabeth I was last displayed to the country in
1921, curators at the National Portrait Gallery noticed spots of
discolouration which cast a spiralling shadow across the Tudor posy the
monarch held in her right hand

**  Polaroids in Peril
Snapshots by legendary photographers Ansel Adams and Robert Mapplethorpe
will be on show here before the Polaroid collection is sold to settle the
debt of the failed firm

**  Gordon Brown's 'love inspired' art collection
The Prime Minister's residence is currently decorated with love-inspired
slogans, a kissing couple and bold currency symbols, according to details of
the artwork on display have revealed

**  54-year secret of students who went ape in Bristol
The mystery of a 7ft stuffed gorilla's lost weekend has finally been
revealed, 54 years after he was kidnapped from a city museum

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum.
9,044 News Tweets, 763 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Feature Site - The British Museum's Young explorers
This is a great resource if you are covering any of these civilisations in
class; as well as gaming skills, your pupils will also learn plenty of
historical facts along the way

**  Stolen Peter the Great pendant found in Seattle returns to Russian
museum
A silver medallion with the engraved image of Peter the Great, which was
discovered stolen from a Russian museum in 2006, sold online and recovered
last year at an antiques dealership in Seattle, has been officially returned
to Russian authorities in Moscow

**  Did the discovery of cooking make us human?
Cooking is something we all take for granted but a new theory suggests that
if we had not learned to cook food, not only would we still look like chimps
but, like them, we would also be compelled to spend most of the day chewing

**  Archaeologists Discover Remnants Of Legendary Party Out By Train Tracks
Archaeologists excavating the train tracks out by the quarry announced
Tuesday that they have discovered evidence of an epic party dating back to
the late- February period of the year 2010

**  Underwater Cultural Heritage in Belgium
Cogs in general were sea-going vessels during the middle ages, which were
mostly used in the northern and north-western areas of Europe

Become a FAN -  Join 304 of  Us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Digital Imaging for Conservators and Museum Professionals
The University of Delaware, in partnership with the Foundation of the
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works

**  Historic acquisition of Inuit prints
The Canadian Museum of Civilization has expanded its collection of Inuit
prints with two major sets of acquisitions.

**  I-CHORA 5: Fifth International Conference on the History of Records and
Archives
London, 1-3 July 2010

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml