From:
Janis Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:11:13 -0800
Jeanne Finan wrote:

> I like Janis Beth Wilkens of showing how a diorama is constructed. My
> thoughts were more along the lines of not just doing this on special days but
> to doing it more often--almost as part of each exhibit. Just a small
> segment/display/copy panel/photos..something...that would single out one
> aspect of the development of an exhibit to let our visitors know we just
> don't go "buy" this at the exhibit store. Yeah, yeah, I know there are some
> exhibits that are "bought" like this but I think we need to start educating
> audiences about exhibits develop.
> (At least Janis' museum is doing this and one day is better than not at all)
>
> Jeanne Finan

You know, it's been there so long I almost forgot about it till I read
this message, but we also have a permanent exhibit case illustrating the
taxidermy process.  It's a little outdated in terms of current
techniques, but certainly represents the way most of our collection was
mounted . . .  We have it in the main hallway going down toward the
dioramas, so it serves as kind of an introduction.  This sounds more like
what you are getting at, I think, Jeanne.
--
Janis Beth Wilkens
Curator of Collections/Interim Director