From:
patricia l roath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:08:16 -0500
This type of exhibit (i.e., retrospective of a living clothing designer)
is by no means unprecedented--the 1983 Metropolitan exhibit of Yves Saint
Laurent comes to mind; there have been others.

Perhaps I am too expectant of the need to be defensive, but I sense a
negative tone (not necessarily Mr. Siegel's).  Why would a retrospective
of a well known designer be objectionable, any more that a retrospective
of a living architect or painter or sculpter?  Because it's clothing?
Because it's "glitzy" and glitz does not belong in a historical society?
(There are many historical periods in which glitz played an important
role--what does "Rococo" bring to mind?)  Would it be ok to do an exhibit
of a dead designer's glitzy clothes?

Just curious as to other opinions out there...

Pat Roath
Elizabeth Sage Historic Costume Collection
Indiana University, Bloomington