From:
Bridget Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:00:06 -0500
Deb Fuller wrote:
<<.  Personally I would love to see an exhibit done of David
McCaullay's "Motel of the Mysteries" that is a wonderful spoof of an
excavation of a sleazy motel and contrast that with excavations of
pre-historic peoples>>

I chuckled when I read your mention of the "Motel of the Mysteries"...I
would love to see that exhibit...have you also see the article "Body Ritual
of the Nacirema"?  Nacirema being American backwards..great anthropological
study of this strange modern culture!

And I do agree that most Native Am collections started out in Natural
History museums because these were the more prominently established...but
now they need to be shown in better cultural context and moved to
anthropology or culturally specific arenas.
Bridget Jones
Bonham, TX

Museum-L" (without the quotes).