From:
Rich Vidutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:05:17 -0500
Dear Cecelia,

A couple of years ago I talked to a contact in the Smithsonian about applying for jobs after years of my own frustration trying to get a job there. Numerous times, here in the DC area, I have heard SI referred to as the Black Hole in to which applications disappear because acknowledgement of their receipt is rarely made.

The important points she made were:  First of all, primary screening of the application is made not by the department within SI seeking applicants, but by the front office of all powerful bureaucrats who will disqualify the application for any inadequacy they interpret in the application.  She related how often she has had to argue for a particular applicant with HR over too strict interpretations of the job announcement requirements.  But the good thing here is that if the particular dept knows you are applying, they apparently will fight for you if they really want you.  That means, somehow, making contact with the dept and letting them know who you are and that you are applying.

Secondly, she underlined the necessity to stay on point when answering the questions under Selective Factors.  Address the mandatory requirements clearly and directly and do not wonder off into tangential discussions.  I’m guessing that HR does not have the special subject background that each hiring dept in SI would, and also they probably have to deal with many hundreds of applications, so they most likely employ a cold and quick approach in eliminating those who seem not to be right on target in their applications.

I wonder what kinds of experiences others have had with SI.

Rich Vidutis