From:
john lamberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:32:31 +0000
Perhaps I've missed a point somewhere in this thread, but I find nothing
startling about a museum embarking upon an expansion/capital campaign, even
during a turbulent economy.  LACMA is far from the only one doing so.  If my
recollection is accurate (always a chancy thing), I believe LACMA's current
"campus" was built from the ground up starting in 1965.  They do own one
historic building (the old May dept. store), but that site is some blocks
away from the proposed new construction.  I will say, having been involved
with over a dozen such projects, that in California the cost of
demolishing/rebuilding is often more cost-effective than a remodel.  This is
primarily due to stringent (deservedly so) and very expensive requirements
in respect to seismic retrofitting.  Please note I am not referring to
historic sites/buildings, where demolition should not be an option...

John Lamberson
Lamberson Consulting, LLC