From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:54:53 +1200
Welcome to this edition of DINOSAURNEWS - the international Dinosaur Webzine
with bite!

This Week's Headlines: (For the FULL STORY visit the NEWS section of the
webzine at this address: http://www.dinosaurnews.org )

**  Fossil purported to prove transition of dinosaurs into birds
The fossilised claw from a Maniraptoran dinosaur was found at the Peiropolis
site in the state of Minas Gerais

**  Speaker uses humour to teach about dinosaurs
Dinosaur George Blasing, owner of Dinosaur World in San Antonio, was the
featured speaker at Dinosaur Day

**  Malta's Dinosaur Field Station gets $500,000 grant
The field station hopes to use the money to lure in another $3 million of
corporate donations to build a new Great Plains Dinosaur Museum

**  Of Professors and Predators: John Ostrom, Deinonychus Antirrhopus, and
the Nature of Dinosaurs
Significant discoveries are often made on the last day of field seasons,
and, indeed, it was on a final tour through the badlands east of Bridger in
August 1964 that thirty-three-year-old palaeontologist John Ostrom and his
assistant Grant Meyer stumbled across weathered claws and hand bones
sticking out of the ground

**  Ogden park promoting the study of the beasts
They have more than a hundred models of dinosaurs scattered over eight
acres, and what's more, 99 percent of them are indigenous to Utah

**  New Exhibit Larger Than Life
Dino Quest, a new exhibit at Santa Ana's Discovery Science Centre, is part
scavenger hunt, part video game

**  Dinosaurs rule at Paterson plant
Looming above the work benches, an apatosaurus 85 feet long and 22 feet high
at the shoulder blade leans ahead; a pursuing 32-foot allosaurus (seeking a
juvenile offspring that isn't in place yet) crouches behind

**  Other Fossil news - Looking At The Dawn Of Life - Detailed Images Of
Embryos More Than 500 Million Years Old
The detailed images of embryos more than 500 million years old have been
revealed by an international team of scientists, led by the University of
Bristol, UK
lists. Simply send an email to: [log in to unmask]

**  Meteorites wiped out dinosaurs in Gujarat
Traces of iridium, which are found in the area where the dinosaur fossils
have been found, gives credence to the theory that dinosaurs must have been
wiped out because of huge meteorite impacts which must have occurred 65
million years ago

**  Dinosaur restore
Linda Konapka used a blowtorch Monday morning to melt and re-melt a rounded
cylinder of steel until it hugged the ancient contours of a dorsal vertebrae
of a Tyrannosaurus rex

**  Canada comes to Australia
A big piece of Canada is planting itself at the Australian Museum, visit the
new 'Dinosaur Unearthed,' exhibition which features the live excavation of
dinosaurs from massive rock slabs unearthed from Dinosaur Provincial Park in
Canada

**  Dinosaur Art Contest
Artists and dinosaur enthusiasts ages five and up are invited to submit
entries to the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History's twelfth
Dinosaur Art Contest and Exhibit.

SEND US YOUR NEWS: Does your Museum have a dinosaur focus? Put us on your
media database. We welcome your news of events, discoveries and exhibitions

GET YOUR LOCAL MUSEUM TO ADD our RSS news feed to their web site, at this
address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/dino2004/dinosaur.xml

What our readers say:

I must say first that I subscribe to your E-mail news letters and read them
voraciously for book ideas. The news blurbs are such a wonderful service to
us dino fanciers!
Christine Gentry - author of 'Mesozoic Murder 'and 'Carnosaur Crimes'

Thank you for an interesting, useful site. I recommend it to teachers who
continue to contact me after 6 years of retirement. I also volunteer at the
local science museum and recommend your site to the many children who visit
it.
Marvin Selnes, Sioux Falls, SD

Thank You for the excellent coverage you've given my ongoing research.
Best regards,
Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D., Affiliate Faculty, Idaho Museum of Natural
History