Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:37:13 +0000
Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]> AT ~INTERNET on
27/01/99 18:02:00

To:   MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]> AT
  ~INTERNET@~intergate@~SCC-DIALIN@~SCC-GENERAL@~SCC-NOTES-CCMAIL
cc:    (bcc: Patricia Reynolds/CSC/SCC)
Subject:  [MUSEUM-L] More-information Pullouts
 Hello list members,
 Me and my collegues in Jerusalem are preparing an exhibition on
 animal's behavior. The material that we want to show is exceeding our
 exhibit area, so we decided that we might use "more-information"
 pullouts.
 I would like to know, from your experience,  whether
 "more-information" pullouts are read by visitors. Does an attractive
 design makes any difference, and actually attracts more visitors to
 look at them?
 Thanking you in advance,
 Hava

Dear Hava,

At Buckinghamshire County Museum (my old job) we found that visitors
were very quick to understand that more information was to be found in
a prominently placed 'flip book' (i.e. a ring-binder with laminated
cards).  Each case or other group of objects has a flip book, with the
wall, banners and so on used for 'headline' text and general text.

We did not go as far as originally intended the flip-books contain
only 30 words or so about each object and additional illustrations.
It is in large print, and partly for that reason we had to abandon an
early idea for a bibliographic essay on each object.  The theory went
that the visitor who wanted to know more could visit an area set
aside, equipped with a curator, access to the museum's databases,  and
a small library.  Budgets could not meet our visions!

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
Museums Development Officer
Surrey Museums Consultative Committee - a service jointly funded by
the county, district and borough councils