From:
Lynne Ranieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:12:19 -0500
    I have been successfully (I hope) using my glass-door shower stall as a
rehumidifcation chamber for rolled paper items. After a shower I lay an
impermeable material (a piece of mylar) on the built-in seat in the shower.
I then lay a clean towel on that, then the rolled item. I close the door to
the shower and check on it a few hours later. By that time, it is usually
relaxed enough to enable me to unroll it a bit without cracking it. I then
close the door again and continue that process. I sometimes need to put it
in again after the next day's shower, to be able to completely relax it. Of
course, the item does not stay in when we shower in there.
   I read of rehumidifying chambers that can be made with clean plastic
trash cans, with a small amount of warm/hot water in the bottom and an
elevated, perforated, non-metal material above that, that makes a perforated
shelf on which the item rests. I don't remember exactly how the shelf was
constructed, but it may have been with a couple of bricks supporting some
plastic, rigid screening that fits snugly inside, so that no part of the
item can touch the water. The lid of the container is kept on until the item
has relaxed enough, of course.
Lynne