From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:26:29 -0700
Ok, I have to ask.  Are we going to pick one the words
 of one another apart and get into the
misnomers--which I admit to having made--or are we
going to concentrate on the question itself, the
concepts?

There's a school of thought here that says every "I"
must be dotted and every "T" crossed.  There are
countless souls here, each with their own fetishes,
and some are more anal about the language than others.

I will tell you that, when I wrote that post, I was
suffering from two things:  brain freeze and workplace
distraction.  At the time, I struggled with finding
the right words, and obviously did not.  I knew what I
wanted the message to be, but my brain was simply not
cooperating, and correct terms were not forthcoming.
I was of the belief that the concept was more
important and important enough to try to get the
message out.  That was compounded by the fact that I
was at work and on break and running out of time.  So,
I blew it.

I thanked Beth off list for educating me.  But come on
now.

Pick apart the concepts if you will, but the words
themselves?  I really don't think we have a
proofreader for this list.

With that said, believe it or not, I was a paid
one/editor for five years.  I can find all the errors
in the words of others, but I will tell you as happens
with many, you frequently have a hard time finding
your own, and spell checkers often won't do it if the
word you use is a real word, properly spelled, even if
it's the wrong word.

Publically embarrassing each other is inappropriate.
If you want to correct someone's spelling or grammar,
do it privately.  Doesn't matter if it's me or someone
else.  It's simply rude to do so in a public forum.

This is not the first time it has happened here, and
I'm not isolating the writer below.  It's just
socially unacceptable to do so from where I sit unless
you're being paid to.

I don't have a problem with educating about concepts
or imparting knowledge, but comeuppance as it relates
to one's writing just isn't appropriate.

I REALLY struggled with those three terms.  You don't
know that when you read my words, but I did.  It was
one of those trying to pull it from my head when there
were already 5,000 thoughts in there competing for
space.

For those of you who will bristle and come down in an
authoritarian fashion with much umbrage, asserting
that we must be gramatically correct at all
times--save it.  You're not paying me, nor are you
most probably paying any on this list. The last time
we had this discussion, the holier-than-thou attitude
just irked me to no end.

Here, we are all equals, each subject to our own
foibles and shortcomings.  Our purpose here is not to
pick those apart but to support one another so as to
better support the institutions we revere.

I made a boo-boo.  Three, if you will.  But, in the
grand scheme of things, I think you understood what I
was trying to say, even if I said it incorrectly.

You'll never kick me as hard as I'll kick myself for
that gaffe, but it's really not YOUR place to do so.
It's mine.

--- Tim Atherton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >ps despite my opening remarks, i'm going to correct
> one thing becuase its
> one of those
> >Asian/Oriental type things and i feel i must defend
> my people!!
> indigonights wrote "For  >the world at large, those
> who cling to Judaica,
> Christianity, or Muslimism may say these >are our
> ancestors." Judaica is the
> jewish-themed and/or religious artifacts you buy at
> >synogogues, artisan stores, etc. Judaism is the
> philosophy/religion. No
> biggie, i'm sure >it was a typo, but i must
> "represent" as the young people
> say ;) (i'm 25)
> >(without the quotes).
>
> And Muslimism..?  Islam/Islamic surely?
>
> tim

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414