From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:27:07 -0800
Marion,

I would just caution that in the scenerio described here, a dedicated
room with temerature controls within an unconditioned warehouse, that
moving cold objects out or warm objects in could make them prone to
"flash" condensation effects.Some years ago  I had to do emergency
treatments on a group of large steel artifacts that had been shipped
from England to the USA where this phenomenon had occurred due to the
very cold uncontrolled cargo hold of the airplane, and when the crates
hit the warm and humid Virginia air on the tarmac, well, it was not
pretty. If these artifcats were fine art paintings then they may have
been packed and handled differently - but because they were large
industrial artifacts they were probably seen as very sturdy and stable
by the shippers.

As in all things conservation-wise if you alter the temperature or
relative humidity from the adjacent envirnoment then you have to be
very mindful of buffering and gently "relaxing" the artifact to any
new conditions so that it acclimates gradually.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator