From:
Diane Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 1994 00:06:14 -0800
I remember a steamy kitchen with an aunt who made everything in the
crafts line.  We made grapes.  She had glass molds (like clear
christmas tree ornaments, very thin).  She mixed the resin to get
just the right color - I don't remember if it changed in the processing -
then we stuck in a wire with a bend on the grape end (to give a little
purchase), rigged them in muffin tins, sometimes with tin foil to
keep them upright, and baked them in the oven.  I was a kid.  How do I
know how hot?  When they were done you dropped them in ice water and the
glass mold cracked off.  Sometimes the grapes crazed too, which
added to their "charm".  We didn't know anything about bad fumes in
those days -- it was fun!  She was a florist.  She used them in
arrangements.  I'll bet there are a million in attics or cellers
in Eastern Washington.  Diane Brenner ANMDB&Orion.Alaska.edu