From:
"Leith, Adrienne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:30:30 +1000
Zdenka
I agree with you that image capture is a highly useful tool when
cataloguing objects.  However, unlike objects, plant and insect
specimens are classified, i.e. genus and species and even subspecies.
Therefore each specimen is already described with all characteristics
fitting that classification, and therefore each such 'object' is easily
recognisable.  A photograph of the same plant or insect will just be a
repeat, and will not give any further distinguishing information.  Given
the number of Botanical and Entomological specimens being accessioned, I
would suggest that you only stipulate that they photograph type
specimens, thus restricting the number of photographs quite
dramatically.
Adrienne Leith