From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:24:46 -0700
Hi Everyone,

Ok, a couple of things about vinyl.

It is a material that can conrtain polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - which
offgasses and is one of the "bad" materials to have in intimate
environments with art and historic objects in museums - if you get any
kind of plastic baby pool odor then that is PVC.

PVC is also very hazardous when it is a combustible in a fire and has
been a concern of many building products as a result.

It also is one of the less environmentally degradable plastic polymers
and has been identified as a source of dioxins and other pollutants.

Vinyls degrade, especially with strong light (UV) and the cheaper
sources can contain lead - that is why vinyl window blinds were in the
news a few years ago. So before removing or trying to pry off old
vinyl you might want to test the surface first with one of those
simple home lead test swabs.

So there is more for you to consider than time issues with removal a
few years later.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey