From:
Eileen Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:26:07 -0500
The following is a press release from the federal Institute of Museum
and Library Service.  An HTML versin of this release can be read on the
Institute's Web site at: http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/113005.htm

November 30, 2005   			Eileen Maxwell [log in to unmask]
202-653-4632   				Mamie Bittner [log in to unmask]

Three Museums and Three Libraries to Receive Nation's Highest Honor for
Extraordinary Community Service

The National Awards for Museum and Library includes $10,000 and ceremony
in nation's capital

Washington, DC-Mary L. Chute, acting director of the federal Institute
of Museum and Library Services, today announced the 2005 recipients of
the National Awards for Museum and Library Service. This is the nation's
highest honor for the extraordinary public service provided by these
institutions. Each organization will receive $10,000 and will be honored
at a special ceremony in Washington, D.C., date to be determined.

Recognizing the vital role of museums and libraries in American society,
the Institute annually awards museums and libraries that exhibit
outstanding service to their communities. The National Awards for Museum
and Library Service honors institutions for extraordinary civic,
educational, economic, environmental, and social contributions to their
communities.

The winners of the 2005 National Awards for Museum and Library Service
are:

COSI Toledo, Toledo, Ohio
Johnson County Library, Overland Park, Kansas Levine Museum of the New
South, Charlotte, North Carolina Mathews Memorial Library, Mathews,
Virginia Pratt Museum, Homer, Alaska Saint Paul Public Library, Saint
Paul, Minnesota

"Through partnerships with schools, businesses, social service agencies,
and many others, these exemplary museums and libraries develop programs
and services that meet genuine family and community needs," said Mary
Chute. "They inspire a love of learning from early childhood through the
senior years, sustain our cultural heritage, build 21st century skills,
and provide engaging opportunities for civic participation. The
Institute is gratified to honor their achievements."

COSI Toledo, Toledo, Ohio www.cositoledo.org
Contact: Lori Hauser 419-244-2674 / [log in to unmask]

In the seven years since COSI Toledo opened, the hands-on science museum
has become a close partner with local school systems and other community
organizations in bringing the joy of scientific discovery to children of
all ages.

"The new economy demands technical and scientific literacy from all of
our citizens," stated Senator Mike DeWine (OH). "COSI Toledo is a
shining example of how a hands-on approach can bring science to life and
inspire an entire community. I applaud the entire COSI Toledo
organization and thank the National Museum and Library Services Board
and the Director of the Institute for recognizing COSI's deep and
long-standing commitment to community service and innovative public
programming."

Through its innovative programs for teachers and schools, students and
families, the museum is transforming the way science is taught and
learned in northwest Ohio. "Having the Center for Science and Industry
in Toledo has been a perfect fit for the people of Northwest Ohio,"
remarked Congressman Paul E. Gilmor (OH_05). "Partnerships with local
schools and the community have made COSI an important part of everyday
life for many Ohioans. COSI has also brought much-needed tourism to our
area as others realize this tremendous educational tool. The center has
helped to make science cool again for the future of our nation and is
shaping some of our brightest minds of the next generation."

"COSI has long been an invaluable educational resource to our Northern
Ohio community," said Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur (OH_09).  "COSI is a
dynamic center of hands-on science, learning and fun where visitors
enjoy extraordinary learning opportunities as they are immersed in
larger-than-life experiences.  By utilizing these creative and
innovative programs, COSI continually strives to attract new audiences
to positively overcome the intimidation of math and science education."

From college fairs to camp-ins, from one-time experiences to multiyear
programs, COSI Toledo is dedicated to community service that reveals to
the world, a world of science.

Johnson County Library, Overland Park, Kansas www.jocolibrary.org
Contact: Marsha Bennett 913-261-2319 / [log in to unmask]

A myriad of successful programs that benefit all areas of Johnson
County, Kansas, from the suburbs to small towns and rural communities,
distinguish the work of the Johnson County Library. "By ensuring that
our communities, especially our children and youth, are exposed to
literature and other materials, the Johnson County Library is giving
people the opportunity to expand their horizons and in return become
engaged in their communities," Congressman Dennis Moore (KS_03) said. "I
thank them for their hard work and dedication, and congratulate them on
this much-deserved award."

"I am proud that the Johnson County Library is one of only three
libraries in the country to receive recognition this year from the
Institute of Museum and Library Science--the staff deserves credit and
recognition for its work engaging the community in library services and
activities," said Senator Sam Brownback (KS)." From school
administrators to local government officials, from business leaders to
youth correctional officers, the library actively seeks input from the
community to improve traditional services and shape programming for new
audiences. Senator Brownback noted, "In particular, the library merits
commendation for its Changing Lives through Literature program, which
has dramatically reduced the recidivism rate among probationary teens.
This is great news for the Johnson County Library and for Kansas. Keep
up the good work."

The Johnson County Public Library continually seeks new opportunities to
serve its community, and in partnership with community organizations,
the library has created innovative and exceptional programs while
enhancing traditional services.

Levine Museum of the New South, Charlotte, North Carolina
www.museumofthenewsouth.org
Contact: Ashley Thurmond 704-333-1887 ext 242 /

The Levine Museum of the New South is not afraid to tackle challenging
social issues in order to build a better community. In 2004 the museum
embarked on an extraordinary project that enabled the citizens of
Charlotte to examine issues of equity, race, and inclusion in the
context of the history of school desegregation. The project left a deep
impression on the residents of Charlotte and earned the museum a place
among the 2005 recipients of the National Award for Museum Service.

Senator Elizabeth H. Dole (NC) gives her heartfelt congratulations to
the Levine Museum of the New South for this well-deserved recognition:
"Through a ground-breaking exhibit on desegregation and the community
discussions that followed, the museum helped bring together the
Charlotte community on the important subjects of race and diversity. I
applaud the folks at the museum for their good works and their
commitment and service to the Charlotte area."

The museum has become an important catalyst for change in Charlotte.
Through exhibits and community conversations, the Levine Museum helped
bring a community closer. "The Levine Museum is an important part of our
community in Charlotte," remarked U.S. Representative Sue Myrick
(NC_09). "They do a great job of having exhibitions that teach us about
our past so that we can create a better future for our area. I applaud
the work they do, and I know we are all proud that they have received
this prestigious national award."

Mathews Memorial Library, Mathews, Virginia www.mathewslibrary.org
Contact: Bette Dillehay 804-725-5747 / [log in to unmask]

The Mathews Library sees its role as central to its goal of creating a
thriving community, and area residents have taken notice. No longer
content to serve a narrow segment of its community, the public library
now partners with the local schools and historical center on programs
that make it a hub of lifelong learning and enrichment. "The Mathews
Library serves as a focal point of the community and a valuable resource
to all the residents of Mathews County," remarked U.S. Representative Jo
Ann S. Davis (VA_01). "I'm proud to hear that the Mathews Memorial
Library has been recognized with this year's National Award for Library
Service. I want to extend my congratulations to the staff and volunteers
at the Mathews Library and recognize their positive contributions to the
community."

The challenges facing the community of Mathews County are many, but so
are the opportunities. One involved citizen called it "the best little
library in Virginia." "The Mathews Memorial Library has shattered the
old mold of service for small, rural libraries," said Mary Chute. "The
Institute of Museum and Library Services applauds the Mathews Memorial
Library for adopting a new vision that gives the little library a big
can-do attitude."

Pratt Museum, Homer, Alaska
www.prattmuseum.org
Contact: Heather Beggs 907-235-8635 ext. 33 / [log in to unmask]

The Pratt Museum's commitment to building strong community partnerships,
especially with native villages around Kachemak Bay, helped earn it a
place among the 2005 recipients. "The awarding of the National Award for
Museum Service to the Pratt Museum is recognition of the depth of the
museum's mission and the hard work and dedication of its employees and
volunteers," said Senator Lisa Murkowski (AK). "It is a model for other
museums to follow and I congratulate all involved on this award."

"The Pratt Museum creates innovative exhibits and programs that give
voice to local homesteaders, fishermen, and Native Alaskans," said Mary
Chute. "At the same time, the museum celebrates and interprets for
summer visitors the area's rich traditions, cultures, and ecological
diversity."

Permeating its many community programs and exhibits is an invitation by
the Pratt Museum to make connections between worlds--human and nonhuman,
land and sea, native and non-native, scientific and spiritual. The
museum asks its visitors to stop, listen, reflect, and think in new
ways, and be moved to fully participate in community life.

Saint Paul Public Library, Saint Paul, Minnesota www.sppl.org
Contact: Stu Wilson 651-222-3242 / [log in to unmask]

The Saint Paul Public Library has never been more valuable to the
residents of the Twin City metro area. The library and its Friends group
have garnered unprecedented public and private support for new
facilities and for targeted outreach to people from all walks of life.
Congresswoman Betty McCollum (MN_04) said, "In St. Paul, our libraries
are treasures, and this award recognizes their innovation and community
commitment. We're all very proud of our libraries and the men and women
who keep these doors to knowledge open."

In partnership with the Friends group, the Saint Paul Library has
invested in a diverse array of community partnerships. The result is a
system that delivers more books and materials (a 50 percent increase in
the last five years), has more on-site visitors (a 31 percent increase
in visitation), receives thousands more Web site hits, and has more
Saint Paulites opening a book for fun and learning.

"I congratulate the St. Paul Public Library for winning the prestigious
National Award for Library Service," said Senator Mark Dayton (MN). "The
library's unwavering dedication to lifelong learning and community
outreach have made it a pillar of St. Paul's greatness."

BACKGROUND:

As the primary source of federal funding for the nation's libraries and
museums, the Institute of Museum and Library Services has a unique
vantage point of the vital role these institutions play in American
society. The National Awards for Museum and Library Service were created
to underscore that role. The winners are as diverse as the cultural
landscape of our country: small and large, urban and rural. They have
one thing in common: they have each found innovative ways to make
serving their community central to their mission.

"Our achievement as individuals and our success as a democratic society
depend on learning continually, adapting to change readily, and
evaluating information critically," said Mary Chute. "This year's
winning museums and libraries have all demonstrated their commitment to
furthering this achievement by serving their communities in unique ways,
structured to the special needs of their citizens. These museums and
libraries are fulfilling their mission of becoming centers of learning
for life."

All About the 2005 Recipients
http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/113005b.htm

All About the National Awards
http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/113005d.htm

All About the Institute of Museum and Library Service
http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/113005c.htm

Past Recipients http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/113005a.htm

Nominate a museum and/or library for the 2006 National Awards for Museum
and Library Service.
Museum: http://www.imls.gov/grants/museum/mus_nams.asp
Library: http://www.imls.gov/grants/library/lib_nals.htm
(Application Deadline is February 15, 2006)

The Institute of Museum and Library Services is an independent federal
grant-making agency dedicated to creating and sustaining a nation of
learners by helping libraries and museums serve their communities. The
Institute fosters leadership, innovation, and a lifetime of learning by
supporting the 15,000 museums and 122,000 libraries in America. The
Institute also encourages partnerships to expand the educational benefit
of libraries and museums. To learn more about the Institute, please
visit http://www.imls.gov.

###

Eileen Maxwell
Public Affairs Officer
Institute of Museum and Library Services 1800 M Street, NW 9th Floor
Washington, DC  20036-5802
202-653-4632
202-653-4600(fax)

Subscribe to Primary Source, the IMLS monthly e-mail newsletter, for
important museum and library news:
http://www.imls.gov/utility/subscribe.htm.