From:
Sheila Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 16:52:49 -0800
>Can someone please explain to me what is the purpose of such exhibition, what
>is it that you want to be said, or known about human skin, what is the context
>of the exhibition? I am really intrigued!

Thanks for your interest in our exhibition about human skin.  If you would
like to know more about our plans, please keep reading.

Each of the three science centres involved in the project would like to
host a human biology exhibition. An exhibition about human skin was chosen
as a "topical" way of teaching our visitors about their bodies. Our goal is
to reach our visitors in a way that is relevant to their everyday lives.
Visitors will explore the functions and abilities of their own bodies in a
rich learning environment filled with hands-on, body-on exhibits, computer
interactives and games, simulations and real human body specimens. The
4,000 square foot travelling exhibition will open in the Spring of 1997.

Through the medium of a skin exhibition we can cover a wide range of topics
including: how the largest organ in the body functions; how we sweat, heat
cuts, blister, burn and get pimples; how capillaries function and are
linked to the entire circulatory system; how milk glands work and are part
of reproduction; genetics of eye, hair and skin colour; the function of
melanin, what the UV index numbers we hear on the radio mean and how they
are linked to the ozone hole and skin cancer; cultural expression through
fashion, make up, tattooing; parasites and bacteria we host; wrinkles,
aging, and the preservation of skin in death (mummies) and much more.

The exhibtion is to be built by a partnership of three Western Canadian
science centres, Science World in Vancouver, The Science Centre in Calgary
and the Edmonton Space and Science Centre.

Sheila Hill
Exhibits Developer

SCIENCE WORLD
1455 Quebec St.