From:
Nancy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:10:32 -0500
James Crawford, the gentleman who posted the dino dig inquiry a few days
ago, mentioned that several responding parties expressed interest in hearing
about the creation of dino digs, so some info about ours (American Museum of
Natural History) is below. Our dinosaur dig was created for an exhibition
produced in 2001, "Fighting Dinosaurs: New Discoveries from Mongolia." This
exhibition was originally planned for travel, but the travel plans never
manifested and the exhibition was dismantled. The dig was extremely popular.

As we circulated emails to and from James, we remembered that, because we
won't be traveling our exhibition, our dino dig is still sitting in storage.
If any organizations have an interest in purchasing it from us - if the
dimensions seem right to you and it fits your needs - then we'd be
interested in discussing a possible sale. In these difficult financial
times, we've been trying to lower our high storage costs, and we realize it
might be less expensive and less labor-intensive for an institution to buy
one that already exists. If anyone is interested, please don't hesitate to
contact me.

 How big an area is your dig?
Approx. 6' x 9' x 2' high, with 4 "pits"

 What do you use as the dig material?
Granulated Wax mixed with quartz sand and Premixed Tint

 How often do you need to redo the area?
Once a week

 How many staff do you have for the area?
Two to fill, about 1.5 hrs
Two to three Explainers to supervise

 How many people and what ages use the site?
Full most of the time (more than 4 kids in 4 "pits")

Dig pit site inventory:
    Jiffy mixer on drill
    Electric Drill 3/8 chuck
    5 gallon melting pot