From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 06:57:49 +0100
>issue of WWW access has arisen.

Access to the WWW is indeed difficult for many of us. The text browsers are
a poor substitute for graphical access--a museum exhibit without the images
just doesn't do it for me.

That said, I agree that the WWW is the way to go. The Web appears to be the
future of network technology.  As we move that way, more people will have
access over time.  More important to me than access, is the still seldom
mentioned issue of audience.  It is great to put stuff on line, but we need
to begin to think more about _who_ we are putting it on line for and what
those people really want.  I wonder if anyone has done a focus group for an
online exhibit yet?

Lacking that kind of input, I am arguing from ignorance, but my bet is that
the "general" audience we want to reach will be much more likely to spend
time at a WWW site than they will be to use Gopher to download documents.
If we start developing WWW exhibits now, when access comes, as it will, we
will be ready to take advantage of it and deliver the material people want
in a form tat is attractive and easy to use.

I don't see the WWW in terms of it denying access to the present (although
it does), but rather as providing access for the future.  If I want to reach
a certain audience _now_ I probably would not choose the Web (and might
choose a commercial service :-}).  If I want to develop my own skills for
providing information in the future, I would (and am) put my energy into the
WWW.

Guy Hermann      | Mystic Seaport Museum |  "Technology is lust removed
[log in to unmask]   | Mystic, Conn., USA    |    from nature."  Don Delillo