From:
Anne Mackay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 13:26:07 +0200
Peter Holloran wrote:
> Historians used Orient to refer to lands east of the Mediterranean in
> ANCIENT times. I think we have a chronological problem here not a matter
> of what is or is not pc, no? Ancient Asian art, objects, etc. may be
> labelled Oriental without offending.

Further to this, there is a period in the development of Ancient
Greek art in the 7th century BC which is commonly known as the
"Orientalising Period", with references to "orientalising motifs" and
the like - I for one would hate to have to rewrite the art history
books in deference to pc-ness.
- Anne Mackay***********
(Prof) E A Mackay
Department of Classics