From:
Jadran Kale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:58:31 +0200
Ann Harlow wrote:

> She concluded that "museum people are particularly
> susceptible to the magic of objects -- of real things and
> places.  They speak to us, they turn us on, they're fun
> to touch, they connect us to important things, they give
> meaningto our lives, they lead us into and define our culture.
> So I'll go out on a limb and assert that, above all,
> museum people are object people."

Dear Ms. Mark, Ms. Harlow and other list fellows,

it could be footnoted that the choice between the world of objects (ie.
curator's environment) and the world of ideas (while lecturing at
university) probably is a matter of satisfactory balance: merging both
worlds around your museum practise, by lively interpreting objects, or
connecting museum spaces and happenings to your lecture tasks, seems to be
a promising choice.

But, such custom may not be eased legislatively and organizationally. What
is asked from a faculty neophyte to ascend along the degrees is not the
same that we need from museum staff. This domains are more or less clearly
divided. (University museums, museum studies, etc. are liminal areas.) I
suppose that interesting lines about the issue could be written by
independent curators and/or scholars?

Yours sincerely,

Zupanijski muzej,  HR-22000 Sibenik
Croatia:385(0)22/213-880,fax213-355