From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:19:54 -0400
What an interesting question - hope there are lots of replies.

Two come to mind for me:  The Susan B. Anthony House here in Rochester NY.  Not so much for what is done there today (although they do a fine job) but for what happened there during Miss Anthony's residence.

The other is the Tenement Museum in NYC - it's the place that felt the least changed to me of all the places I've visited - as if the immigrants were still there.  Combined with an interpreter telling a student group to "Use the stair handrail on your way upstairs - let your DNA mingle with the DNA of all those who have used it in the past."

I'd also be interested in hearing from folks if the place was inspirational because of what the staff is doing now, or because of what you bring to the place - personal meaning.  I won't mention a third site that is incredibly meaningful to me; but the management and interpretation of it makes me very sad.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Public Programs
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12
Fax:  (585) 546-4788

The Landmark Society:  Celebrating 75 years as one of America's oldest and most active preservation organizations!

www.landmarksociety.org
Facebook