From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 07:06:31 -0800
Ah! I love when this discussion percolates up again!

The use of a consultant for a web site is obviously
the best way to go (ok, ok! I am biased), but they can
be greatly cost prohibitive.  If you have no one in
the area that would be willing to be some sort of
designer then the design can get rough.  I am
constantly amazed that the folks at American
Association of State and Local History does not have
one (and if they do that person needs a refresher
course! www.aaslh.org)  However if you can connect
with someone that knows a bit of design then the site
will come out better.  I know that when I was trying
to start things up on the net with just knowledge of
coding, my designs were aweful.  Now that I have taken
graphic design courses and I have all the tools, I can
come out with something a bit more spectacular.
(www.cymatium.net or www.historicmass.org)

Then beyond just the design of the site, I would make
sure someone is up on all the technical parts.  I am
working with an organization in Connecticut who has no
idea how alot of the internet works.  I have set up
the URL's and will print out a computer user guide so
that they can update without my assistance.  That is
sort of one of my hallmarks.  Teach them and then sit
back until they might need me again.

Lastly, if you do not have some sort of designer out
there, there are alot of designers out on the net that
would be welcome to working over e-mail (again that
pesky bias).  Its worth shopping around.

I hope this helped!
Aaron

=====
Aaron [log in to unmask]