From:
Amy Kleinert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:38:07 -0700
Not that this should be a determinate of losing your
tax status, but I wonder how many resources your org.
puts into attracting tourists.  I would think that if
your museum puts very little monies and/or manpower
towards attracting tourists to visit you from outside
the area, that serves as an indication of what you are
really trying to do - i.e. put your resources towards
community programming and are in fact in business as a
community resource.

Of course you are trying to attract anyone to visit,
tourist or not, but do the tourists view your museum
as a primary destination?  I like to describe my
museum as a secondary destination, they visit the
museum after they are already here for something else
or we help make the area more attractive to visit.
Accordingly,  I focus efforts and resources on the
regional community.  I should also mention that we are
free, so an increase in attendance for revenue isn't
an overwhelming force. Community-based museums do so
much more than merely exhibit art and artifacts, we
are educational institutions.

Amy Kleinert
Marketing Manager
South Bend Regional Museum of Art