From:
Edith Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:59:49 -0400
Christine,
We also use a 1:10 ratio for elementary students.  However I try to get a
ratio of closer to 1:5 for pre-school & Kindergarten aged
children--especially if there is a hands-on activity involved.  We have more
of a problem keeping the chaperones limited to the ratio than meeting the
ratio.  The last museum I worked at actually went to a policy of charging a
small fee for chaperones in excess of 5 over the required number.  (The
required number of chaperones were admitted free.)We were starting to have a
problem with all the extra adults carrying on their own (unrelated)
conversations in the background, which was distracting the children.  We
found that with fewer adults, they were more likely to focus on their
chaperone duties than socializing with each other.  I have never turned a
group away for not having enough chaperones.  On one or two occasions, I
have called in an extra volunteer to assist with a group if I was really
worried about not having enough assistance.

We have three historic structures in addition to the museum.  We use three
docents  when touring the buildings & divide larger school groups into three
groups that rotate through the buildings.  So as long as we have three
chaperones, no child is left alone with museum staff/volunteers.  Smaller
groups may only need to be divided into 2 groups or not at all.  We don't
have the problem of the intersection that you do, as our buildings are on
the same lot.

Edith W. Brady
Curator of Education
High Point Museum