From:
Jessica Roode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:43:36 PDT
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but my life and
everything associated with it has been up in the air the past couple of
weeks....oy!  I have found quite a few of the online websites through
recommendations of others and my own searches.  Many of the jobs that I am
seeing are upper level position or require a great deal of experience.  So I
think I should probably concentrate on some more volunteer experience.  I do,
however, need to sign up with the AAM, I have yet to get around to sending in
the form and money...

I have another question for you.  I was wondering what the structure was that
exists between national, state and local museums?  Does every museum have the
access to other museums collections with the possibility of loaning pieces?
or is it more of a who knows who process.  I was wondering along the same
lines if there was a computer network that has been established between any of
the museums that would allow access, even locally, to a museums collection.
The reason I'm asking is that the past couple of jobs that I've had have been
envolving computers.  They have made me think about the accessibility of
collections to the public and other museums....

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Jessica Roode

Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for doing your homework!;-)

There are quite a few web-based museum job lists which you can find
mentioned in the archives. Don't forget to check out museum websites for
listings. Sometimes entry level jobs that don't make the newsletters and
such are listed there. Also, some web versions of newspapers allow
key-word searches of classified ads or even provide e-mail alerts for
listings with specific key-words.

When I was worked in a history museum, I found the Association of State
& Local History very useful for keeping up with the field. I don't
recall if they have job listings. I've been a member of the American
Association of Museums for about 20 years. AAM offers a newsletter with
job listings (usually not entry level), current info on the field, and a
great, diverse annual conference (among other benefits I use more
rarely). Find out if there are local museum organizations in your area.
This is a great way to meet people and become part of the network. You
might have to ask around a bit to find them, as some are pretty
informal.

Finally, if a job description really seems to fit and you *really* want
to work at a particular organization, try submitting an application
anyways. It's always possible that the particular degree cited is not
such a critical factor or that the degrees you have are a reasonable
substitute.

[Note: the opinions expressed above are entirely my own.]

--
Susan B.F. Wageman
Evaluation Manager                       [log in to unmask]

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).