From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:43:38 +0100
Hi William,

I second the excellent advice of Astrid and Gregory regarding working
collection by collection instead of shelf by shelf and breaking down
the huge task in manageable steps.

In addition I would first of all try to spot all possible health
hazards like taxidermy specimen, fire grenades, live ammunition, moth
treated textiles, cinema projectors that contain asbestos,... and make
your working environment safe. In this step, I'd also look out for
hidden pest infestations, mold or building issues like holes or
windows that are not tight. In the next step I'd determine which
collection items suffer the most in the current storage situation and
start with them.

There's much more to it, I'm curretly putting the finishing touches to
the manuscript of "Managing Previously Unmanaged Collections - A
Practical Guide for Museums" which will deal with scenario like yours
and worse than yours. It should be available in spring 2016 via Rowman
& Littlefield.

Best wishes
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager
TECHNOSEUM, Mannheim, Germany
www.technoseum.de

Join the Registrar Trek at http://world.museumsprojekte.de/
Follow us on Twitter @RegistrarTrek

The views expressed are my own. My museum can't be held responsible
for anything I write.