From:
Jadran Kale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:15:06 +0200
Hello Listmembers,

today is a mourning day in EU and elsewhere throughout Europe. Seems that
museums are opened, but exhibition openings are quiet and celebrations
cancelled. Everybody feels connected to this tragedy.

Occurs to my mind that this List with its 2500 worldwide-dispersed members
maybe could contribute with a thread of expert experience about specific
cultural response and interpretation to such human-caused catastrophes, as
a published account from a Cyprus museum reminds me - of martyrs.

Questions could start with these: Is there a rememberance of martyrs making
part of some museums' permanent exhibitions? Or there were some specific
exhibitions connected to them? Are they mentioned in a bare reference, or
are there interpretations or attitudes also attached? Which martyr reffered
is historically most recent? This issue could cover more than just a
discipline of history, maybe with interpretations of personal biographies
in their consecutive disciplines.

By the definition, a martyr (literary "the witness") is a person who must
be consciouss of his or her acts. People in their WTC offices did not know
their destiny. Only one who fit the description for Sept. 11th is the
terrorist-pilot himself, but he cannot be seen for anything except for a
renegade from humanity. So, for disclaimer line, by this definition I see
no martyr here, and I wish not to upset anybody with this thread proposal.
But we can learn a lot.

Sincerely yours,

Jadran Kale, curator ethnologist
Zupanijski muzej, P.p.7, HR-22001 Sibenik
Croatia: 385 (0) 22/ 213-880, fax 213-355
  @  http://jagor.srce.hr/muzej_sibenik
- -  Sent with PINE 4.10 from CARNet  - -