From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 13:37:05 -0800
From: Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maurice Landry <[log in to unmask]>

Cost is probably the greatest factor in VR.  The "glasses" and "glove"
are still quite pricey.  Development of the space is time consuming,
requires a powerful computer and large storage.  Some programs that
simulate the idea, but from a video screen, are very interesting and can
be useful, but one still remains an outside observer.  There are now,
such as in Las Vegas and in LA) amusement rides that use a hydraulic car
and projections that give a realistic experience of some adventure.  As
time passes, the cost of equipment comes down and it will eventually be
possible that these sorts of packages can provide for VR experiences.
(Places like the Hermitage in St Petersburg, Russia would be a wonderful
example of such a fantastic VR experience.  Not only is there art on the
walls, but around the art, on the floor, ceilings, views through the
windows of the Neva, Sts Peter and Paul fortress--the Raphael and da
Vinci are especially wonderful with that view through the windows--Palace
Square, Alexander Column, General Staff Bldg and so forth, without ever
having to go there.)

Dave Wells