From:
"Meyersburg, David (PEB)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:01:27 -0400
Hi Julia,

You make no mention of on-site interpretive panels at PAHS. You might try some inexpensive experiments with panels mounted flat or slightly angled at ground level, or on a slight deck. The result would pose a very minimal change in the landscape, yet provide on-the-spot information. Text and images would have to be designed to be read from 4'-6' away. (You would have to promote them in your visitors center, because they aren't going to be noticeable from a distance).

Your test panels can be as simple as wide-carriage inkjet prints with an overlamination mounted to Masonite to make them passably durable- you wouldn't want them out in bad weather. Or for something less expensive, a painted sign-quality plywood (such as a Medium Density Overlay or MDO board) with silk-screened line/text. If the panels don't show up well enough, you might also try painting the side of the "deck" (I'm thinking of something with a profile like an upright 2 x 4) white or a bright color- you could even color-code sections, as another part of the experiment.

If you're satisfied with the results in their experimental format, you'll want to investigate having the second phase panels made up of more durable materials, such as fiberglass embedments or phenolic resin pressings. My thoughts...

David Meyersburg
Chief of Historic Sites Exhibits
NYS Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation
Peebles Island Resource Center
Waterford, New York 12188
(518) 237-8643 ext. 3228  -  fax (518) 235-4248