From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:56:45 -0700
It's called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD.
I've had it, and it's no fun because you may outwardly
look ok, but months down the road, you're still not,
and people don't quite understand it.  Once you've had
it, it's like a sprained arm, or leg--you're more
vulnerable to get it again.

It's good information of which to be aware because it
could happen to anyone at any time, but it's important
to have this info to share with those who were
affected by Katrina so that they can get diagnosed and
get treatment as soon as they can.

It was a doctor friend online who first clued me into
this.  He had it and had suffered for years.  Maybe
passing this along to someone else may save them some
grief.  There's a whole gamut of emotions that goes
with this, not the least of which is anger.

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/

--- Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 5.  The psychological needs of the victims must not
> be underestimated or
> presumed. Many people who have lost everything will
> need to help with museum
> rescue just to feel some control. In addition to the
> many offers of
> professional help, organized corps of regular
> volunteers will add
> immeasurable help while helping their own coping
> strategies. You need
> drivers, runners, feeders, carriers, box assemblers,
> communicators, press
> contacts, musicians, oral historians and people who
> can sit there and hold
> you while you cry.

Indigo Nights