From:
Oliver and District Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:26:29 -0800
We are going through some of the same reflections, Marianne. I don't think
that we have adequately addressed the issue.

From what I can see in your question, your greatest problem is declining
attendance. When attendance drops, we tend to self-examine, thinking that it
is our marketing that is the problem, and people tend to look first at the
sign in front of their building. The second approach is the Field of Dreams
mantra: If we build it, they will come.

I believe that the answer lies more in the mission: who is it that your
organization wants to impact. If you are clear about who you are trying to
reach out to, then you can answer the question by addressing the target
audience's needs. If you are already meeting their needs, then you go for
increased marketing - the people just aren't aware enough of what you offer.
If you aren't meeting the needs, then it would be appropriate to address the
development of exhibits and educational programs.

The problem I am identifying in my museum is factors outside of my sphere of
direct influence: we can have the greatest exhibits that meet needs, and we
can have the marketing in place, however, economic concerns (the cost of
travel and availability of leisure spending) are impacting our attendance.

That presents a different set of issues, and we need to re-evaluate our
measures of success, given the circumstances. Can we put more effort into
the quality of our collection and feel that we are succeeding even if people
are not attending at the moment? Can we use this time to collect stories, do
more outreach to our elderly population? Perhaps excite their memory through
our collection?

I'd like to hear more input on this topic as well. What have people had
success with?

Darryl MacKenzie
Oliver, BC