From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:43:06 -0400
"The Museum of Sex LLC" is indeed a for-profit entity.  It was organized under Section 203 of the New York Limited Liability Company Law.  It is not a corporation.  An LLC in New York is like a partnership.  The Limited Liability Company Law was created to give businesses some benefits of a corporation (e.g., limited liability protection) but without the complexity of the Business Corporation Law.  For example, a LLC does not have directors but "members."

Museums in New York by definition are not-for-profit entities, chartered by the Legislature or the Board of Regents.  This one is not.  Therefore it lies outside of the Regents rules and regulations governing museums and their collections.

David W. Palmquist
Head, Chartering Program
NY State Museum
State Education Department
3090 Cultural Education Center
Albany NY 12230
518-473-3131
FAX 518-473-8496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web site:  www.nysm.nysed.gov/charter/

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/05/01 10:25AM >>>
In regard to this thread -- I caught it late so I'm not sure if my question
is relevant -- but has anyone visited the NYC Museum of Sex? Is it open now?
I understand that the Amsterdam and Copenhagen museums are established
institutions, but frankly the postings for this one seem a bit vague.  Also,
the "LLC" at the end of their name -- does that imply that they are for
profit?( to quote Jerry Seinfeld "Not that there's anything wrong with
that.") Is anyone out there from the museum who can fill us in?  Just
curious.

Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritaage Center