From:
Greg McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:56:47 +-1200
This is an interesting discussion since the US situation seems to be very similar to that here in NZ - a large excess of qualified job-seekers vying for very few new jobs in museums.

I would echo Geri Thomas in saying that, yes, it is real tough and that it is most definitely who you know in many/most situations. That is why volunteering is, traditionally, such a good entry into the field. Once on the "inside" you are able to develop the networks and relationships that will help when it comes to applying for jobs and, perhaps, being interviewed by people who already know you and what you are capable of. This I would have to say is a huge advantage since the employer already knows a great deal about you and you are not so much of a "risk" as complete outsiders can sometimes be. I realise this is not how it should be in an ideal world but in the real world what matters is getting the job, not how you get it!

As a museum director who began as a volunteer 10 years ago I always encourage students who send in their CVs to consider volunteering at their local museum, or even at this one. It is always a struggle financially for them but those that persevere frequently win the jackpot - a permanent job. For example, this museum currently has two permanent employees in positions with definite career development prospects, who only six months ago were working voluntarily in return for the experience and petrol money. When it came to interview time they had a huge advantage because they were already part of the team and understood the culture and values of the organisation. In short, they made the decision to hire an easy one.

So, like many other contributors to the discussion, I would advise new graduates and job-seekers who are really serious about a career in museums to keep their eyes on the long-term prize and go through whatever hoops necessary to achieve that, even if the short-medium term pain of voluntary work is tough going.

Greg McManus
Director
Rotorua Museum of Art & History
Te Whare Taonga O Te Arawa