From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:23:31 -0400
Nancy--

It is a daunting task compiling such a list since there are so many
projects out there and so many variables. There are lots of museum
building and expansion projects out there, very few of them are
directly comparable because of difference in community size and make-
up, resource availability (all kinds: collections, a building,
endowment or governmental support, etc.), the focus of the museum
(history, art, science), the kinds of audiences served (tourists,
researchers, kids, community members), the scale and scope of the
project, location, competing venues, etc.

Unlike doing these kinds of projections for a commercial enterprise,
where one Starbucks is much like another, every museum is different,
so there are few standard rules that apply--what works one place may
need to be substantially reworked to work in a different place. Any
comparison must be taken with a large margin of potential error.

Rather than focusing on new or expanded museums, I might look at
existing successful museums of comparable size and scope to identify
the characteristics that make them work well for their communities.
You can then use these as a benchmark for your project and for
assessing the new or expanded museums that turn up in the process. I
think AASLH might have some resources for identifying similar museums.

Best of luck,

Guy

Guy Hermann, LEED GA
Museum Insights: Master Planning for Museums
860-245-1323
http://www.museuminsights.com