From:
Seth! Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:45:38 -0800
Hi,

I like where Jim went with this topic, regarding not being
offended/offensive. It was interesting to go back and read how this thread
evolved, so to speak. I particularly enjoyed comments by Deb and Dirk.

I would only expand on the discussion by offering the following: Some
museums (e.g. art museums) are presenting subjective matters. Is this art?
Is it not art? There is no single truth in these cases so it is incumbent on
the curators to provide what they believe is a good experience for their
audience and it will always be somewhat contentious (e.g. censorship, "my
kid could do that", etc.)

History museums are in the tricky position of balancing the objective and
the subjective; telling the story of the past through a variety of lenses.
To a large extent, there is "truth" to be found but perspectives don't
always match. This is NOT the same thing as having opinions or beliefs.
Events unfolded in a real and objective way but how they effect people is
the variable. Thus, museum staff should be compelled to present various
experiences but not compelled to offer up myths or ideologies except
possibly as a backdrop for what motivated people to action.

Science museums are expected to present the most objective truth of all. A
great deal of what we understand about the world is theory but this is not
the same thing as opinion. Theories change based on new evidence. Thus, we
have scientific theories (which are open to debate based on interpretation
of evidence) and then we have myths, which have no place in science. For
example, our current understanding of the sun is that it is plasma, so
science museums are under no obligation to share myths about flying chariots
of fire.

In conclusion, there are some conflicting ideas that merit appearance in
museums. But there are other "debates" that are not really debates at all
and museums should steer clear of those. For instance:

* We sent people to the moon vs. The moon landing was a hoax
* The holocaust was real vs. The holocaust is fiction
* Earth is billions of years old vs. Earth is a few thousand years old
   (i.e. science vs. creationism)

What this has to do with heckling, I don't know. I suppose it means that we
should choose our battles and forums carefully, remembering what role
museums have in our society. That is my less than humble opinion. I would
love to come to the UK to buy Jim a beer and hear more about his. :)

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving,
Seth!

While the Creationist/Evolutionist debate is currently the one probably
causing most anxiety for museum professionals, there have been many other
similar (if perhaps not so fundamental) debates through which museums have
had to pick a careful way (e.g. sexual censorship of art, representation of
slavery, even the naming of slightly obscure Mercian tribes in the UK).

My views on one side of the Creationist/Evolutionist question are the
strongest possible; I think those who disagree with me are SO wrong, but I
don't intend to air them here - come down to my local bar and buy me a drink
and I'll set you right.

However, a museum has to tell what 'it' believes to be the truth. It has to
arrive at a conclusion it can genuinely back and not sit on the fence.
However, it also (however much it goes against the grain) has to respect the
sincerely held views of those who disagree. What it does NOT have to do is
back down under threats of sanctions. There will always be disagreements
about what is true, what should be represented as truth and what should be
shown as a legitimate ongoing debate, but one thing is sure: picketing will
not define the Truth (capital intended).

In discussions, I want to propound my opinion and persuade others to agree.
What I should NOT do is jump all over theirs. In my humble opinion, there's
no such thing as a humble opinion.

Jim Roberts